What Is Catchphrase?
Say what you see! Catchphrase is a general knowledge quiz based on the cult TV show of the same name. The objective of the game is to win cash prizes by correctly answering a series of questions to complete visual puzzles which represent well known catchphrases.
How to Play Catchphrase
Begin the game by pressing PLAY. The stake is fixed at £1 or currency equivalent. Roy Walker Himself will then greet you into the game. Choose the number of points to play for by pressing STOP on the player podium.
You will then be shown a visual puzzle, which represents a well known phrase. You are then offered 3 letters and you must choose which one you think forms part of the catchphrase. To win this letter you must answer a general knowledge question from the following categories:
- Science and Nature
- Entertainment (Show Biz)
- Pot Luck
- Pop Music
- People and Places
If you answer correctly the chosen letter is placed in the relevant position(s) in the catchphrase. You will then be offered another three letters and the process is repeated until the phrase is complete.
Points and Prizes
Once the catchphrase has been solved, you will be awarded points, which accumulate on a "Points Bar" leading to prizes. The "Points Bar" will increment across the bottom of the screen
scrolling from left to right and eventually reaching collectable cash values.
Once a cash value has been reached, you may collect, or continue playing on for further prizes.
If you choose a letter that isn't part of the catchphrase you lose a life. You start out with 6 lives, lose all of them and the game is over.
An incorrectly answered question will also result in "Game Over" unless you have a "Try Again" available (represented by 'Mr Chips' icons in the top right of the game screen). Try again will let you answer the question again. The game begins with one "Try Again" already awarded and a maximum of up to 3 can be collected at any one time via the mystery "?" symbol round.
You must take care to answer the questions within the time limit represented by the digital countdown just below the catchphrase board. Failing to answer within the time limit will result in GAME OVER.
If you fail to choose a points amount, letter or mystery symbol within the time limit one will be chosen at random for you.
Mystery ??? Symbol Options
Occasionally one of the letters will be replaced by a "?" mystery symbol. If you select a mystery symbol, you are offered a skill choice on one of the following outcomes:
- Add a letter - Adds a letter to the catchphrase.
- Complete Phrase - Completes the catchphrase on your behalf.
- Extra Letter - A letter is offered that may or may not be in the phrase.
- Extra Letters - A number of letters are offered that may or may not be in the catchphrase.
- Extra Points - Adds a bonus number of points to the point's bar upon completion of the current catchphrase.
- Super Try Again - Two try agains are added (up to a maximum of 3).
- Try Again - Adds one Try Again (up to a maximum of 3).
- Spot Prize - Awards the indicated prize.
- Catchphrase symbol - Deducts one symbol from the number required to win the progressive jackpot.
- Lose a Life - Deducts one life. If this was your last remaining life the game is over and any normal winnings are lost.
- Game Over - Terminates the game. Any Normal winnings are lost.
Bonus Rolling Jackpot
Certain Points Values, Letters & Mystery Symbols randomly have a catchphrase symbol attached to them. These contribute towards winning the Rolling Jackpot. This is a bonus prize that is awarded if you collect the number of symbols indicated. Beware! Whilst selecting a letter with a symbol attached will reduce the symbols needed to win the jackpot the letter itself may not necessarily be part of the catchphrase. In this scenario you will lose a Life or maybe even the game if none are available. If the letter IS part of the phrase you will still be required to answer the subsequent question.
If you win the jackpot, you can still continue to play for further prizes. The rolling jackpot is never gambled, if won this is yours no matter what happens later in the game. The jackpot amount is shown in white on the right of the screen next to the catchphrase board.
When you win a prize you have the option to collect or continue. You can also collect your current winnings at the letter selection stage by pressing COLLECT. By continuing you gamble your current normal winnings against potential bigger prizes further in the game. Upon collecting, winnings will automatically be added to your account.
The game ends under the following conditions:
- When you win the top prize as indicated on the point's bar. This is £10 or currency equivalent.
- Collect any winnings.
- Do not answer a question within the time limit. Normal winnings are lost.
- Lose all your lives. Normal winnings are lost.
- Answer a question incorrectly when you have no try agains remaining. Normal winnings are lost.
- Select the 'Game Over' mystery option. Normal winnings are lost.
'Normal Prizes' means prize amounts won by progressing along the point's bar. Spot Prizes and the progressive jackpot do not count as normal prizes. If won these can never be lost and are automatically added to your account when the game ends.
Real Play/Demo Play
Please note that for security reasons the Demo play version of Catchprase only contains a limited selection of the questions found in Real Play. Additionally Demo play is designed to easily introduce you to the various features of the game. Therefore the difficulty of winning both jackpot and normal prizes may vary between Demo and Real Play.
To speak to one of our Assistants:-
Call 0800 032 1133 (or +350 200 43003 if dialling from outside the UK) – contact us at your convenience, 24 hours a day.
Or,- Email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org for account queries, game questions or any other support matter.